Sunday, September 1, 2013

My Attempts to Get "On The Line"

When I try, and fail, to do something technologically simple, like create a Facebook page, I feel like Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia (yes, I saw it) saying that her son-in-law was going to get her "on the line".

It's Facebook!!! Why won't it let me make a page?!? Apparently, Facebook takes offense to my small business name. I don't know if it's gypsy or rhetoric that makes them uncomfortable, but there was no business page to be had for me. So I made a personal page using the name Gypsy Rhetoric, but I made the mistake of using Gypsy as my first name and Rhetoric as my last name. Do you see where I'm going here? So anytime that I send a message to someone it would say "Gypsy sent you a message on Facebook". Um... no.

And Etsy. Ahh, Etsy. How I love you. For shopping that is. For selling? The jury's still out.

Someone suggested to me a year or so ago that I should sell invitations on Etsy. I totally agree. This sounds like a great idea. You create a fabulous design, that is easy to modify, let people send you info for their event, enter the text and sell them a file for $10 that they can print themselves. I really do want to do this. And I have lots of designs that I can go ahead and get on there, but there are a lot of steps involved to getting that done. I created an Etsy site a month or so ago, but it's going to take some time to get it up and running. I'm hoping to get a few things on there tomorrow.

The thing I have the most fun looking for on Etsy is artwork, specifically prints. I plan on having invites and cards on my site, but the prints are what I am looking forward to the most. Here is a glimpse at my first print =-) It was SO fun to make, and I am definitely in like with it. It will probably be hanging on my wall soon.

I am thankful for all of the skills that I developed during my years as a graphic designer. I hope to always keep them in use to some degree. But what I really enjoy is crafting. The whole reason I declared a major in graphic design is because I loved to scrapbook. Layouts are fun!

I like to sit in a circle of paper and scissors and glue dots and bling and put them together, one layer at a time, until it becomes something meaningful, or fun. I am really excited about being a vendor in the Funky Finds Holiday Shopping Experience. (You can expect me to mention the event at least once in every post =-) I hope that it is a fun experience and that I make a little money, but no matter what happens on November 9th and 10th, the next two months of preparing for that weekend are going to be fun!

A couple of months ago I found some black frames at Michael's that were just begging to be jazzed up. I heeded the call, and they are slowly becoming fun little quotes and sayings that make me giggle. Here is the first one that I did.


If you can't tell, it is a funky little bird, and the text reads "The force is strong in this one. You can tell from the glitter."

My husband didn't get it. But I know there are gypsy souls out there that will!

That's all for now folks. Stay tuned for more sneak peeks of the Gypsy Rhetoric booth!

No comments:

Post a Comment